Monday, May 29, 2006

My Favorite Wedding Song

My nephew got married last week and I had the honor of providing the piano music for the wedding.

This wedding, like most, could be pretty much summed up in a few key points: The bride was beautiful, the groom was clueless, and the father of the groom (in this case, my brother) was totally irrelevant.

When preparing music for a wedding, I usually work exclusively with the bride. After all, besides the obvious, the groom has only two jobs: Say “Yes, Dear” and “Where do I sign?” If it wasn’t for those two duties, the groom would be as irrelevant as his father.

A bride usually has a few songs in mind that she definitely wants included in the ceremony. I’m expected to “fill in the gaps”, based on my standard wedding repertoire.

This wedding followed that script exactly. The newest-member-of-our-family-to-be had a couple of songs that she wanted me to play. Beyond that, I was all on my own. Just the way I like it.

The reason I like it so much is because it allows me to “sneak” in a couple of my favorites — songs that the bride would probably never have requested, but that I like. And keeping the musician happy is part of any good performance.

Given my absolute and total distain for country music, it is ironic that my all-time favorite wedding song is (I cringe to say this) a county ballad. The way I play it, it sounds more like it came from Barry Manilow or Lionel Richie. But it was actually first made famous by Lee Greenwood.

I.O.U.
by Austin Roberts and Kerry Chater

You believe that I’ve changed your life forever
And you’re never gonna find another somebody like me.
And you wish you had more than just a lifetime to give back all
I’ve given you; and that’s what you believe.

But I owe you the sunlight in the morning
And the nights of all this loving that time can’t take away.
And I owe you more than life, now more than ever.
I know that it’s the sweetest debt I’ll ever have to pay.

I’m amazed when you say it’s me you live for.
You know that when I’m holding you you’re right where you belong.
And, my love, I can’t help but smile with wonder
When you tell me all I’ve done for you,
’Cause I’ve known all along.

But I owe you the sunlight in the morning
And the nights of all this loving that time can’t take away.
And I owe you more than life now, more than ever.
I know that it’s the sweetest debt I’ll ever have to pay.


If every groom would read these lyrics to his new bride on the night of their wedding, the world would be a much better place.

One partner may enter a relationship thinking that the other has done everything to give their life more meaning. But a great relationship begins when one realizes that they go into the partnership owing the other so much more.

It’s a debt they’ll never be able to repay. But should spend the rest of their life trying.

No comments: